OK, so after several weeks in class learning about woodworking machines and various safety lectures we were finally ready to get down to it and start to work. Strangely after being so eager to start work for so long now, once able to I felt paralyzed. Like I had no idea where to start. So I finally decided to start with the side panels which meant cutting a bunch of stiles. This proved to be quite difficult because we are starting with rough mill sawn lumber and everything needs to be cut, jointed and planed to thickness. It's fun to work with rough mill sawn wood...with the hopes of making something useful out of it, but it is quite challenging. Especially when you are used to just going down to Home Depot and getting the size of lumber you need already cut to thickness needed. But this is definitely a skill worth learning.
I didn't get very far at all with the stiles. The few I cut ended up being too narrow, but I am able to reuse many of those pieces for some of the smaller parts required. The problem is that I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to maximize my reused of lumber that I really didn't get much done. Oh well, I guess that is what next week is for.