So the first step I needed to take was to re-saw that big hunk of maple I bought. The first step was to simply rip it in half to yield two approximately 5" wide pieces. Each piece is about 2" thick. After I had two halves, it was time to re-saw them into approximately 1/2" pieces. With just a little left over, I was able to easily re-saw a total of 6 planks from the block of maple.
Re-sawing maple turned out to be more difficult than I thought. The band saw was set to re-saw approximately 1/2" thick boards. Doing so, I quickly found that my bandsaw's throat clearance was just right at 5". Just barely large enough to accommodate the blocks width-wise. Whew! That was close. Now I know I cannot re-saw anything wider than about 5" with my bandsaw! I didn't really think about that before I started, but fortunately it worked out anyway.
Re-sawing the maple boards was quite time consuming. The widest blade I have for my saw is 3/8". I took nearly 15 minutes of slow pushing to cut each board. With 5 cuts that's running the bandsaw 1 hr and 15 minutes. I think the bandsaw got kind of a work out that day. But kudos to Craftsman because it seemed to hold up just fine. I am definitely going to buy a wider blade with less teeth per inch to hopefully make future re-sawing go a bit quicker.
Because the bandsaw blade was quite thin, there was quite a bit of 'wobble' in the boards while cutting. It really wasn't too bad considering, but the resawn boards were quite rough when I was through with them. But all in all I was pretty happy with the results.